You need to start ipython notebook on your machine. For the DCS machines in the Edgar Allen building follow these instructions.
Starting the Lab
You can have a look at the notebook for this lecture on line here.
Once ipython has started copy and paste the following commands into a new notebook file.
import urllib urllib.urlretrieve('https://github.com/lawrennd/mi2013/blob/master/MI_Lab_class.ipynb', 'MI_Lab_class.ipynb')
Once you’ve pasted them in press
Shift-enter to download the notebook.
If you return to the tab containing the
IPython Dashboard the lab
class should now be there to download.
Learning Outcomes Week 6
This lecture covers the following learning outcomes
- Mapping the basic programming concepts into algorithms for machine
- Ability to make small modifications to existing code to change an algorithm.
- Be able to relate lines in a programming language to mathematical
- Understanding that the mathematical derivations we create can map to implementations in code.
- Understanding how mathematics is implemented as code, for example data structures like arrays can map to mathematical structures like vectors.
- Understanding the particular needs when interacting with data: an environment that allows the display of the data. (e.g. IPython notebook).
- Reinforcing the previous lectures’ learning outcomes.